Causes of Water Damage
The discoloration on this ceiling is due to water damage from above.
What are the causes of water damage? Well, water damage comes in many shapes and sizes; some that are easy to identify and others that are not. Knowing the common causes of water damage can help prevent damage to your home. The earlier you can identify water damage, the less work will have to be done by a water damage restoration company to restore your home. This minimizes cost and time displaced from your home or business due to repairs.
Causes of Water Damage Include:
Leaking or Burst Pipes
Leaking or burst pipes are common causes of water damage. These issues can come from changes in water pressure, temperature changes, or the deterioration of old pipes. In the winter, uninsulated pipes can also freeze and burst.
These kind of water damage issues can be hard to detect until there is clear water damage on your walls or ceilings since pipes and hoses are usually hidden within walls. Keep an eye out on your water bill and periodically check for leaks under sinks, toilets, and around showers to find possible plumbing issues that can cause water damage.
Old or Worn Household Appliances
Did you know the average washing machine supply hose fails after just 8.7 years, and 75% of water heaters fail within 12 years? The hoses on these appliances should be changed when you can see any sort of wear to prevent them cracking and leaking everywhere in your home. Look out for all of your other appliances which have water hookups as well, like refrigerators with ice makers.
HVAC units are also a common cause of water damage. When not maintained, moisture can build up creating not only water damage, but space for mold and mildew to grow and spread around your home.
Clogs in drain lines or heavy rains can cause sewage to backup into your home through floor drains, toilets, and sinks. This type of water damage should absolutely be handled by water damage specialists to correctly decontaminate, sanitize, and restore rooms affected by sewage water.
Now that you know several major causes of water damage in home and businesses, you can prevent unmitigated damages to your home. But, if disaster strikes, call SERVPRO of Morristown with any water damage issues.
No job is too big – we have the experience and resources necessary to restore your home to pre-damage conditions
We’re open 24/7 and waiting for your call. 800-734-3213
Fire Damage Restoration in Morristown
Don't let fire damage devastate your home. Give us a call to restore your home to pre-fire condition.
A fire can be devastating for your home or business.
After the fire is out, you may be left with multiple areas of damage. The fire may have compromised the structure of the building, soot and smoke damage can effect walls and furniture, and you may face water damage from putting the fire out.
So, where do you start after the flames are out?
Every fire damage event is a little different, and requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate our process for the “typical” fire damage emergency.
Step 1: Emergency Contact
The restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask questions regarding the fire damage event that will help us respond immediately with the appropriate equipment and resources.
Step 2: Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect and test adjoining rooms of your property to determine the extent of the fire, smoke, and soot damage. This step is crucial to developing a plan of action.
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Service
Fire damage can often compromise windows, walls, and roofs. To maintain security and to protect against further damage, we can board up missing windows and walls and place tarps on damaged roofs.
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
The water removal process begins almost immediately and removes the majority of the water. We then use dehumidifiers and air movers to remove the remaining water and complete the drying process.
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
We use specialized equipment and techniques to remove smoke and soot from ceilings, walls, and other surfaces.
Step 6: Cleaning and Sanitizing
We clean, sanitize, and disinfect all of the restorable items and structures that were damaged by the fire. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to restore your belongings to pre-fire condition. We’re also trained to remove odors using industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment.
Step 7: Restoration
Restoration is the final step—getting your home or business to its pre-fire condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
SERVPRO of Morristown can restore your property back to pre-fire condition. We specialize in fire and water damage remediation and restoration. We’re dedicated to responding immediately when you need help with fire or water damage to help lessen the damage, limit further damage, and reduce restoration costs.
We’re open 24/7, 365 days a year to respond to your call. Don’t wait if you have fire damage, call today.
First Annual Coat Drive in Morristown
Overall, we were able to give 13 boxes of winter coats to shelters this past holiday season!
This year, SERVPRO of Morristown started its first annual coat drive for homeless shelters in our area!
On our very first year, we exceeded our monetary goal of $500 and we were able to collect over 80 coats. All together, using the monetary donations and the physical donations, we were able to donate 120 coats to local shelters in the area! Donations ranged from children's coats to both men and women's jackets.
The contributions we received this year were absolutely amazing. Thank you to all of our generous donors for contributing to our first annual coat drive!
If you missed out on donating - no worries! We will be sure to get the word out for our second annual coat drive next year.
SERVPRO of Morristown, NJ
Call SERVPRO of Morristown with ANY restoration needs!
If you have to choose a restoration company, it’s best to choose one that deals with ALL sorts of issues.
If you have water damage, you also want a company that can handle mold damage, or document restoration. Damage possibilities are endless so you need a company that can help with everything! SERVPRO of Morristown is that restoration company.
Here’s a helpful list of services we provide so when you’re choosing a company, you can make the easy decision.
- Fire, Smoke, & Soot Cleaning and Restoration
- Water Removal and Dehumidification
- Sewage Removal, Cleaning, and Restoration
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- Catastrophic Storm Response
- Move Outs and Content Restoration
- Electronics and Equipment Cleaning and Restoration
- Document Drying and Restoration
- Contents Claim Inventory Service
- Full Service Cleaning
- Insured and Licensed Full Contracting Services
Call us today!
What is a Puff Back?
Pictured above is soot from a puff back coming out of a vent.
A puff back is a misfire in your furnace.
The issue is that a puff back can send soot throughout your home through your vents. If you wake up one morning and find soot coming out of your vents, covering your curtains, walls, and furniture – it’s likely that you’re experiencing the consequences of a furnace puff back.
Puff backs can also occur over time without you immediately noticing.
Every time your furnace ignites and misfires, it can send a small amount of soot through your vents which may slowly accumulate in your vents and around your home.
Puff backs can damage your home because:
1) The furnace is misfiring, and needs to be serviced
2) Your home may become covered in soot – and you are breathing it in as well!
If you experience a puff back this winter, call SERVPRO of Morristown to clean your home of all soot.
We are open 24/7 for emergency service!
Winter Storm Damage and Your Business in Morristown
Prepare your Morristown business for any winter storm damage!
When winter weather hits, it can lead to property damage, employee injury, and possible business closures. Preparing your business beforethe storm is the best way to protect your property and minimize any storm damages.
If you take these steps, your business will be able to more quickly recover from a storm damage loss.
Steps To Take Before A Winter Storm:
- Establish shelter locations on your property. If a winter storm suddenly hits, you need a space with enough room for all employees and any customers that may be in your business.
- Stock shelter with emergency supplies. Flashlights, batteries, fire aid, food, blankets - you know the drill!
- Determine any essential equipment or processes that rely on electrical power. Organize an emergency power source for these items.
- Determine a back-up heating source if power goes out. Use heating sources in well-ventilated rooms to avoid carbon monoxide buildup.
- Install smoke and CO2 detectors. Test them monthly and replace batteries twice a year.
- Maintain an inventory of all equipment and assets for your business in case of a loss. Insurance will need this information!
If you find yourself facing storm or water damage after a winter storm, call SERVPRO of Morristown!
We are open 24/7, 365 days a year. We work with your insurance (so you don't have to!) and provide all customers with free estimates.
SERVPRO Advanced Water Damage Equipment
Our moisture detection equipment creates proven water damage removal results!
There are many water damage restoration companies to choose from in the Morristown, New Jersey area. With so many options, why should you use SERVPRO® of Morristown?
One of the main reasons you should use SERVPRO® of Morristown is our scientific process and advanced equipment. Our moisture detection equipment ensures that we know exactly where water is in your home and that it is completely removed.
Moisture detection equipment:
- Moisture Sensors
- Used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters
- Used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate moisture readings that enable us to monitor the drying process.
- Measure both temperature and relative humidity. Capturing these two readings, we can calculate specific humidity, dew point and vapor pressure.
There is much more equipment which is used throughout the entire water mitigation process. But, moisture detection equipment allows us to prove to you that we are doing our job as best we possibly can!
We are open 24/7, 365 days a year for emergency service. Call Today!
Water Restoration In Morristown
Here for you and waiting for your call 24/7!
Many people don't know about the water damage restoration process, because they've been lucky enough to not need it!
Since every flood and water damage scenario is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. However, the overall water restoration process remains the same.
These steps below detail our restoration process for the typical water-damaged property:
- Emergency Contact
- Inspection and Damage Assessment
- Water Removal/Water Extraction
- Drying and Dehumidification
- Cleaning and Repair
Why should you use SERVPRO® of Morristown?
Since we are open 24/7, we are always available to take your call and aid you in your time of need.
Call Us Today!
Prevent Christmas Tree Fire Damage in Morristown
Stay safe this holiday season and prevent fire damage with these tips!
It’s a tradition for many people to decorate your home for the holidays, but Christmas trees and lights can increase your risk for a home fire.
Did you know:
- More than 1 of every 4 home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
- A heat source to close to a Christmas tree causes 1 in every 4 holiday fires.
- Nearly half of all holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
To prevent fire damage to your home this holiday season, SERVPRO of Morristown recommends following these fire safety tips:
- When buying a real tree, choose one tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched. This will lower the risk of fire due to a dry tree.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source: fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit. This is a fire hazard.
- Add water to the tree stand and be sure to add water daily. A dry, dying tree increases risk of fire.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
SERVPRO of Morristown hopes that you will follow these Christmas tree fire safety tips to stay safe this holiday season!
Winter Storm Damage Preparedness
Stay prepared and safe this winter!
Winter storms can cause just as much damage to your home as a summer storm. Snow storms can bring freezing temperatures, feet of snow and ice, and high winds. Power can go out and roads may become hazardous. Preparing for a storm is the best way to keep your family and home safe!
Winter Storm Preparations
- Weatherproof / Winterize your home.
- Add extra insulation in your attic, insulate doors & windows, and insulate any water lines along exterior walls so they are less likely to freeze.
- Keep as much heat as possible in your home during a storm.
- Avoid unnecessary opening of doors or windows, close off unneeded rooms, and close curtains on windows at night.
- Organize a back-up heating source if the power goes out.
- Gas or log fireplaces, portable heaters.
- Make sure you have flashlights and batteries handy.
- Leave all water taps slightly on so they drip continuously.
- This helps prevent frozen pipes or burst pipes.
Call SERVPRO of Morristown if your home sustains any storm damage this winter. We are available 24/7 for emergency services, and work with your insurance company!